/ Events / AMV Contest
The Animethon 24 Anime Music Video (AMV) Contest is a chance for fans to showcase their creative talents in the form of music videos. It is open to anyone who wishes to enter.
DEADLINE: Friday, June 16, 2017
Quick Rules Summary
- AMVs: Must be a minimum of 75 seconds, 6 minimum maximum. Trailers, Commercials or Intros: Must be a minimum of 30 seconds, 3.5 minutes maximum
- No more than 2 entries per person/group.
- No subtitles, watermarks, logos, text, or credits.
- Must not have premiered before December 1, 2016.
- The majority of your entry’s video content must consist of anime-styled or manga-styled content.
- Audio for all AMV entries (except Trailer/Commercial/Intro) must be majority music. No excessive dialogue.
- Must be age 14+ appropriate.
- AMV-Hell style entries will not be accepted.
- Must satisfy our technical requirements.
Go to the following link to register to participate
Sign Up Form
As the contest will be two hours in length, all accepted entries will be judged by a panel of judges to determine the finalists. If you have any questions on any of the rules or submission guidelines, please e-mail us at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible
Summary of Awards
AMV fixed categories have been eliminated and replaced with a larger number of elements that make up the essence of the AMV (i.e. Dramatic, Artistic, Parody, Trailer, Effect Oriented, etc) found on the entry form. Once all entries have be received after the deadline, all the selected elements will be tabulated and all accepted entries will be grouped into the top six most common categories for judging.
Category AwardsUp to six Awards. Categories will be determined after the submission deadline
AMV Contest Coordinator Choice AwardAwarded to a video selected by the AMV Contest Coordinator
Grand Prize AwardsBest in Show
Best “Made in Alberta” AwardAwarded to a video entry made in the province of Alberta
Official Contest Rules
- 1. The duration limits for each submission are as follows:
- AMV Entries: 75 seconds minimum, 6 minutes maximum.
- Trailers, Commercials or Intros: 30 seconds minimum, 3 minutes & 30 seconds maximum.
- 2. Only two (2) entries will be accepted per individual or group.
- 3. Previously released videos (i.e. AMVs shown publicly at other contests or downloadable on the internet) must not have premiered prior to December 1, 2016 to qualify.
- 4. Dishonesty, plagiarism of other AMVs (in whole or in part), or any actions that cause grief or dishonor to the event or to others may result in the offender being excluded from future Animethon AMV activities. Severe cases may result in banishment from all ASAPA events.
- 5. The content and context of each entry must be suitable for an age 14+ audience.
- 6. Entries that use footage containing subtitles, watermarks, text, studio logos or graphic overlays may be disqualified. Exceptions may be granted if such usage is intentional and plainly necessary to the video’s concept.
- 7. Entries that include any inextricable credits or bumpers. Animethon will create custom-designed titles.
- 8. The majority of your entry’s video content must consist of anime-styled or manga-styled content. Consideration will be given to other sources that also fit the spirit of this event.
- 9. The audio content of all AMV entries must primarily be music. Entries with an excess of non-musical content (i.e. narration or dialogue) may be disqualified. Trailers, Commercials, and Intros are exempt from this rule.
- 10. Entries that are primarily a reel of multiple unrelated and random micro-AMVs (AKA: AMV-Hell styled entries) are not eligible.
- 11. All entries must meet the requirements listed in the Technical Requirements section below.
- 12. Animethon AMV staff and contest judges are ineligible to compete.
- 12. You unconditionally grant us eternal, irrevocable, and limitless permission to use, copy, share, and exhibit your submission(s) in any way including for purposes and usages outside of or unrelated to this event, and you grant this permission with no expectation of compensation, remuneration, or any form of obligation from us of any kind.
- 13. The AMV Contest Coordinator and Judges’ interpretation and implementation of the rules and contest winners are final. All judging methods and decisions are final. Animethon reserves the right not to show entries for any reason.
All videos are required to be in at least a resolution of 640 x 480 or better (720p preferred) and a minimum frame rate of 23.976 or 29.98. Audio must be at a sampling rate of no lower than 44,100 Hz (48,000 Hz preferred).
For best results please encode your AMV as an MP4 using H.264/AVC video compression. We will also accept other formats provided that they are of good quality and don’t require a large degree of difficulty for us to work with.
Your video must have no noticeable video defects (interlacing, macro-blocks, banding, aliased lines, over compression, etc.) and your audio must sound clean and undistorted. Poor video and/or audio quality are bases for disqualification.
If you have questions regarding these technical requirements, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to enter and submit your entry/entries, you will need to enter all the required information into the online form and provide a link for use to download your video. Videos may be accepted via third party upload sites (i.e.: web links, Goggle Drive, Dropbox, Sendspace, etc.) so long as they do not need to be “signed up” to access. Links to streaming sites such as YouTube will not be accepted. Please provide the URL link in the space provided on the form.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.